Written by Dr. Adam Coats
Many people are unaware that chiropractic can be utilized for things other than back pain or neck pain. That’s why we do as much as we can to inform people about all the different benefits of chiropractic care; fewer illnesses, better sports performance, better quality of life, meeting developmental milestones, and healthier, safer pregnancies to name a few. We’re often asked the following question, “What are the specific benefits of chiropractic care if I’m pregnant?” We’re also told on a regular basis, “I wasn’t under care during my first pregnancy and I was miserable for 9 long months.” For those curious, analytical mothers out there, some of the specific benefits of being under care while pregnant are listed below.
Chiropractic & Pregnancy Statistics
- First-time mothers receiving regular chiropractic care average a 24% shorter labor time1
- Pregnant women who have given birth previously and are receiving regular chiropractic care average a 39% shorter labor time1
- Women who receive chiropractic adjustments during their third trimester can carry and deliver their child with much more comfort2
- The adjustment facilitates a state of pelvic balance, decreasing torsion to the uterus, offering greater room3
- Research shows that correct alignment of the pelvis and spine contributes to a more straightforward labor with less pain and trauma for mother and child, and can significantly reduce labor time4
- A well-functioning nervous system enables a mother to easily combat many of the hurdles of pregnancy. Often women learn to accept pregnancy discomforts such as nausea, heartburn, shortness of breath, constipation, hemorrhoids, frequent urination etc, when in fact they don’t need to4
We’re also frequently asked, “Can chiropractic care turn my baby in utero?” The answer to that question is “yes” and “no.” The specific goal of the Webster technique is not to turn the baby. However, that is a common occurrence when a pregnant woman is under care. The baby will often move into the best position for birth because the mother’s pelvis is balanced. A brief but complete description of the Webster technique we utilize is listed below.
Webster Technique for Pregnancy
- Reduces nervous system interference and balances pelvic muscles and ligaments
- Optimizes uterine function and allows for a safer, easier birth for mom and baby
- Reduces uterine constraint and allows baby to move freely into the best position possible for birth
- A balanced pelvis and optimally positioned baby make for an easier labor and delivery
- Fallon J DC. The Effect of Chiropractic Treatment on Pregnancy and Labour: A Comprehensive Study. Proceedings of the World Federation of Chiropractic, 1991:24-31
- Henderson I MD. American Medical Association records released in 1987 during trail in U.S. District Court Northern Illinois Eastern Division, NO. 76C 3777. May, 1987.
- Ohm J. Chiropractic care in pregnancy for safer, easier births. International Chiropractic Pediatric Association. 2001 May.
- Barham-Floreani, Jennifer. Well adjusted babies: a chiropractic guide for wholistic parenting from pregnancy through to early childhood. Melbourne, Vic.: Vitality Productions, 2009.